Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Great American Backyard Tabaco Experiment, Day 26

Greetings Friends,

On Day 26, I have some good news and bad news regarding the Great American Backyard Tabaco Experiment. The bad news is that some of the seedlings seem to have been targets for some voracious plant-eating insects (probably the same ones that love your backyard tomatoes). The good news is that the damage wasn't too bad and there are still scores and scores that are untouched. I suppose that is why tabaco plants produce so many seeds: the odds of a plant surviving to produce its own seeds is small (there are many insects that love to feed on them and mold and other diseases are always a threat). I refuse to use sprays or other artificial means to keep away pests. I hate the stuff and I feel the plants that survive naturally will produce seeds that I would want to collect anyway (in other words, I am implementing a sort of selective selection in order to breed plants that exhibit strong and desirable characteristics, i.e. disease-resistant and insect-resistant plants; step aside Darwin).

I will gather some information concerning these issues from a tabaco master later this week. Details will come in over a week as I may not have access to a computer (hint, hint). But don't worry my fellow faithful of the DW...we will provide details when they come available. In the meanwhile, check out these pictures of Day 26 that I took earlier in the day.

Day 26. The top view. Becoming dense.

Day 26. The strong one is getting company. Notice the plants are leaning towards the left. They are following the path of the sun.

Day 26. The hot spot is getting larger and larger. Which plants will make the cut?

Day 26. Makes you want to cry, huh?

Saludos,
Luis

No comments:

Go Old School. Buy the O.S. DW Tee!

Our Devils Weed Original Style Smoke-Gray Tee
Select a size and click the button below to check out. Simple and fast!
Sizes

Sport the "Crown-Style" Devil's Weed T-shirt

Crown-Style T-Shirt
Select a size and click the button below to check out. Simple and fast!
Sizes

FaceBook Badge

Molina Cigar's Facebook profile