Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Great American Backyard Tabaco Experiment, Day 37

Greetings Friends,

Day 36. Some of these sprouts are fine, but look at some of the damage.

It has been close to 2 weeks since our last update regarding the Great American Backyard Tabaco Experiment but we are back. It is Day 37 and boy has there been a hard lesson learned and this is it: if you do not maintain a constant vigilance on your crop, then expect the plants to be subject to the harsh elements. I was out of town the last 11 days so I wasn't able to check on the fledgling plants. Before my departure, I watered the plants and I put the holding container under my outdoor patio to protect them from any strong rain.

On my return, however, this was not enough. First of all many of the plants lost their lush green color because of the lack of sunlight (Botany 101: plants need the sun light to produce chlorophyll which accounts for a plant's green color; a lack of sunlight, causes a plant to turn white and eventually die). Secondly, a pest or two did major damage to the majority of the plants. Many of the little sprouts have disappeared and some larger plants have had leaves subject to a fine meal. Now, I did not want to use any sprays or insect repellents on the plants so I know this could have been an issue, but the first few weeks that saw my supervision may have prevented any major insect intrusion. I could have taken natural steps to prevent any further damage on first sight (for example, ladybugs are great defenders of crops; they eat plant-eating pests and they themselves do not have a desire for tabaco. Also, pouring a boundary line of salt around the perimeter of the plants creates a barrier for small slugs and other ground insects from entering the breeding grounds).

Anyway, upon my return, I put the plants in the sunlight and watered them again and hopefully the ones that made it (I should have enough for a dozen good ones) will make a fine recovery. But, man, what a scare when I saw the sprouts! Take a look at the damage below, friends, and remember: if you are going to grow your own tabaco, do not ignore the little guys. They can be fragile but with a little supervision, this is no sweat.

At this point, I will let the plants recover for about 7 days (at most) before we select the creme de la creme for transplanting each plant into its own individual containers to allow further growth.

And I learned that when I leave for a long duration, I will have to hire a tabaco nanny.

Day 36. Upon my return, the density is not as high as it should have been.

Day 36. The hot spot has seen some stress.

Day 36. Don't worry little guys, we'll survive this.

Day 37. Even one day sees a slight improvement, but we're not out yet.

Day 37. Here are a few good candidates for transplanting.

Day 37.
Saludos,
Luis

No comments:

Go Old School. Buy the O.S. DW Tee!

Our Devils Weed Original Style Smoke-Gray Tee
Select a size and click the button below to check out. Simple and fast!
Sizes

Sport the "Crown-Style" Devil's Weed T-shirt

Crown-Style T-Shirt
Select a size and click the button below to check out. Simple and fast!
Sizes

FaceBook Badge

Molina Cigar's Facebook profile